Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I couldn't wait....

If you know me, I usually can’t wait to find things out. When it came to finding out if IVF had worked or not, I was on pins and needles. I had a feeling that it worked, but I wasn’t for sure. I had been really tired for the past few days. On 4/29/07, I had been out pulling weeds for about an hour. I came in and took a 2 ½ hour nap. That wasn’t like me, unless I was sick. I thought something might be different, but my pregnancy test wasn’t scheduled until 5/3/07. I was going crazy. They tell you not to take a home pregnancy test (HPT) because some of the hormones taken during the IVF cycle could give a false positive on a HPT. I did some looking on the internet to find out what hormones would do this. It turns out that the shot given just before the retrieval is what could cause the false positive. The hormone could stay in your system for about 14 days. On 4/30/07, it had been 19 days since I had given myself the shot. Mike was working late on 4/30/07, so I decided to go to Kroger and get a HPT and give it a whirl. I knew I could be setting myself up for disappointment, but I was going nuts with wondering. I took it when the test when I got home. To my delight, I got 2 lines, which is a positive test. I didn’t know how to react. I was obviously very happy, but I didn’t know how my body would react to a pregnancy. I didn’t want to get too excited. I didn’t know if I wanted to tell Mike either. I didn’t want to get his hopes up if the test was a false positive. I just sat there for a minute to get a grasp on the situation. Mike got home shortly after I took the test. I didn’t say anything at first. Like I said, I didn’t want to get his hopes up if this was a false positive. I knew how badly he wanted to have a family. He was home about 5 minutes, and I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to tell him. I told him that I would need to call the doctor’s office in the morning to see if the test could be reliable or not. But I showed him the stick. He was thrilled. We hugged for a few minutes. We both wanted to shout from the rooftop with excitement. The long wait could finally be over. I was extremely thrilled, but I didn’t want to get too excited yet until I talked to the doctor’s office in the morning. I called them when I got to work the next day. They said that the test should be pretty accurate. I told my co-workers the news. They were all very happy. We also told our friends the exciting news. The hard part would be keeping it from our parents and family. We were planning on taking them out to Genji for dinner after the official test to tell them if we were pregnant or not. That was the hardest thing to do. I pretty much tell my mom everything. And to have to keep from her that a new grandbaby was on the way, that was HARD. Somehow I did it. Though it wasn’t “official”, I found out a year ago today that we had been blessed with a little angel to take care of. Today she is almost 4 months old. At her last appointment on 4/28/08, she weighed 13 lb. 8 oz and was 24 inches long. Her smile every morning when we get her out of bed makes the wait all worthwhile. So thanks to the help of modern medicine and the blessings of GOD, we found out one year ago today that we were parents =)

No comments: