Sunday, June 8, 2008

The bats are back......and I'm not talking about the Tiger's

Shortly after we moved into our house in 2006, I found a dead bat in one of the upstairs bedrooms. That freaked me out just a bit. Since we moved in towards the end of summer, that was the only one we found that year. When the next summer started, I had forgotten about the bat the previous year. I was home alone and could hear a beeping/chirping noise, but could not figure out where it was coming from. Mike came home and heard the same noise. He eventually found a barely alive bat in the room that is now Lindsay's room. We disposed of that and didn't think any more about it. That put the bat count at 2. In August, the count would double. We had been out late attending the Daughtry concert and were pretty tired. ( I was also 4 1/2 months pregnant) I awoke at 4am to our cats running back and forth across our room chasing something. I thought it might be a moth or something. When they came over by our bed, I realized that it was a bat. Yikes!! While Mike went to get something to help catch the bat, Gizmo cornered it on our dresser. He slapped it a few times with its paw. Then he turned around with it in his mouth. When he let it out of his mouth, Mike hit it with a broom, baseball style. Then he hit it again for good measure. We put a bucket over it with a weight on top and tried to get back to sleep. A few days later, we came home from work and heard the very distinct sound of a bat AGAIN!!! We could hear it in the living room area somewhere, but couldn't seem to find it. Then Mike saw the bat's wing come out from underneath the arch of my sandals. I don't remember exactly how we got rid of that one, but it didn't live to see nightfall. We could see some holes in the screens in the attic vents, so we had someone come out to fix those. We thought we had solved the problem. We didn't have any other visitors the rest of the summer. I hadn't thought much about them this year, until the other night. It was a pretty hot night and Lindsay's room was roasting. We had an AC unit in our window, so we decided to bring her in our room for the night. Because of the heat, I wasn't sleeping very well. I awoke at about 4am to the sounds of what I thought was a mouse scratching in the cubby by our bed. I wasn't for sure if it was in the room our in the ceiling, so I listened again for the noise. As I did, I saw something fly by the window. It was no mouse in the room, it was ANOTHER bat. I wasn't worried about me, I was more worried about the fact that Lindsay was in the room. I can defend myself and move if it came near, she can't. I woke Mike up to tell him about our little friend. We learned the last time from our vet, that if we find a bat in our house, we should bring it in to be tested if we awake to one in our bedroom. But we had to keep the brain in tact for it to be tested for diseases. When Mike went out in the hall to turn on the light, Haley (our cat) came into the room and ended up cornering the bat under the dresser the TV is on. We slowly moved the dresser and Mike covered the bad with a broom and we cot in under the bucket. We were able to get the bat into a box and tape it up. We delivered it to the vet and they sent it off to be tested. I know it didn't come in contact with me, but because Lindsay was in the room, I didn't want to leave anything to chance. We should have the results this week. Now we have to find some bat professionals to come find out how they are getting in and fix the problem. I don't think I will sleep too well, until that is done. But I'm glad we have our brave cats to help us capture the flying pests =)

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh my! That is insane! Hopefully you won't have too many more of these awful house guests and hopefully the vet report comes back ok too. Ick ick!

Jill said...

I'm hoping the tests come back negative for disease too. I could take the shots if needbe, but that would be a lot for Lindsay. Immunization shots are hard enough to watch her go through.

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

Oh my, shots would be so horrible for Lindsay. We're just not going to go there! No sickly bats!

sherri and Adam said...

UGH!!! I do believe we only had 2 in there while living there for 7 years!! 1 in our room and 1 in the basement!! The 1 in our room was soon after we moved in b/c we were in the attic and stired them up...GROSS! The basement guy was a few years later, but none since then!! AHHH GROSS!!! Adam and his dad put netting stuff on the vents in the attic after the 2nd one, but them darn things fit thru TINY holes. I feel bad now.

Jill said...

It's not your fault. We had the vents recovered last summer because it looked like there were holes in them. They are obviously either getting in another way or they are living in the attic somewhere. Who knows. All I do know is that we have to find out where they are coming from. Especially now that we have Lindsay. I hate the little rodents!!!! But luckily we have the cats. They help us catch them