Sunday, March 30, 2008

A day of firsts

When Lindsay fell asleep last night at 7:30 pm, I had no idea what was in store. We took her up to bed about 9 pm. I thought she might sleep until midnight, if we were lucky. The next thing I knew, it was 5 am and she was still sleeping. I was shocked, to say the least. My milk supply was very full, so I went downstairs to pump and then went back to bed. She started waking up at about 7:15am. She slept the entire night. That was reward enough for me this weekend. As a bit of a reward, she got a new outfit when we went to Walmart this afternoon.

The next first came a quite a shocker. As her pediatrician called her in the hospital, "a lazy turd", Lindsay didn't take to breast feeding. She would try a few times and then push me away. It was very frustrating for both of us. I knew breast milk was best, and a lot cheaper than formula, so I have been pumping and bottling breast milk since she was born. We always say to her that she wouldn't have to wait for her bottle to be warmed up if she would just breast feed. As a long shot, I gave her a chance at it again while her bottle was being warmed up. To my amazement, she took right to it. I don't know what made me try it, but I am glad that I did. Now during the middle of the night, I won't have to pump. Mike likes it because I will have to do the feedings now. I don't think I will mind. I've only done it twice today, but it was the best feeling. It truly is a bonding time. I guess I will have to go shopping for a nursing bra now. (and a new outfit for Lindsay!)

No comments: